Occasion Sunday Worship 8th March 2015
Text: Luke 24:13-27
Purpose: Luke recorded this event from the end of Christ’s earthly ministry so that we can see that Christ’s ministry is the center of Bible.
Proposition: God wants us to worship Him for His wonderful plan of redemption!
Interrogative: How can we properly do that this morning?
- Christ is the center of the whole Bible:
- The Old Testament points forward to the coming Messiah Luke 24:25-27 He said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
- The New Testament points back at the Messiah who purchased our redemption: Ephesians 1:3, 16-20 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ…I pray that God may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead. Ephesians 3:15-21 I bow my knees…That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God…Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
A brief survey:
- Seed of the woman: Genesis 3:15 I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
- The Seed of Abraham: Genesis 12:3; 15:6 In thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
- The Lamb of God: Exodus 12:11-14 It is the LORD’S Passover…And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt…this day shall be unto you for a memorial…ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
- The Seed of David: Psalm 89:34-37 My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips…I will not lie unto David. His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before me.
- The Atonement: Exodus 29:36-46 Seven days thou shalt make an atonement for the altar, and sanctify it…two lambs of the first year day by day continually…And there I will meet with the children of Israel, and the tabernacle shall be sanctified by my glory…And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will be their God.
- The Scapegoat: Leviticus 16:21-22 Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away…the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities.
- The suffering servant: Isaiah 53:4-12 He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all…he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken…Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities…he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
- God with Us: Isaiah 7:14 The Lord himself shall give you a sign; behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Emmanuel. Isaiah 9:6 Unto us a child is born…and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom…The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
- Yahweh pierced: Zechariah 12:8-10 In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem…I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced.
- Let’s worship God for His grace shown to us in Christ
- Let’s worship God for His power to providentially accomplish what He said He would accomplish
- Let’s worship God for His faithfulness to do what He said He would do no matter the unfaithfulness of His people.
- Let’s worship God for His personal work of redemption that brought you to conversion.
- Let’s worship God by responding to this work in humble trust and holy living.
- How will you come to the Lord’s Table this morning?
- Will you come in pride lightly considering the work of Christ for you?
- Have you placed your faith alone in this Christ, the center of the Bible?